Indicative of this time of year there is always a lot going on, and Ambler is no exception! Grab the family and some friends and head into town for some fun this week…
- Tuesday 12/14– Carolers will be at The Ambler Theater this evening welcoming theater goers.
- Wednesday 12/15– Annual Holiday Sing-A-Long at The Ambler Theater. Enjoy the beautiful sounds of The Ambler Symphony and have fun singing along, beginning at 6:00pm. Immediately following (@ 8:00pm) there will be a special screening of the original 1951 A Christmas Carol.
- Thursday 12/16– Be at the Ambler train station to greet Santa who will be arriving at 7:00pm. Stroll with Santa down Butler Avenue to Borough Hall and take part in the tree lighting.
- Tuesday 12/21– The highly anticipated winner of the holiday window display contest will be announced, 7:00pm at Borough Hall. See previous posts to view some of the contestants.
Have fun, stay warm and see you in Ambler!
State Farm is clearly well represented in Ambler, this display is courtesy of Tony Serrao.
The better part of the past hour has been spent looking for local theaters showing “It’s a Wonderful Life.” I planned to write quick post detailing the theaters, dates and times in an effort to help all see this cherished Capra film this season. Apparently, either my online researching skills have gone to pot, or there is no desire by the masses to see this Christmas staple on the big screen. Only one theater (as far as I can see) is playing this film, The Colonial Theater in Phoenixville. They will feature It’s a Wonderful Life this Sunday, December 19th at 2:00pm.
I find this disheartening on many levels;
- Have people lost a sense of nostalgia?
- What happened to tradition?
- Doesn’t anyone want to see this on the big screen, feel the warm fuzzies?
- What about all the people who have never seen it? Imagine experiencing it for the first time in a theater, at the perfect time of year!
- Worst of all, and perhaps slightly hypocritical, this only showing is during the Eagles game on Sunday……
I was really looking forward to seeing this myself as well as surprising my guy (it’s easily one of his favorites). I truly expected that we would have multiple places and times to choose from. Sadly, that is not the case, and being the Eagles fan that I am, football will win out. That being said, if you know of any other showings in the area, please share! We do own the DVD, I have actually already seen it this year, but it’s just not the same. Am I the only person who cares about this, would you go see It’s a Wonderful Life if it was playing near you?
If you aren’t already familiar with Phillips and Associates you can easily surmise their area of expertise by viewing their holiday display. Impressive to say the least; I spent the most time here by far! If the to scale models of several of Ambler’s mainstays isn’t enough, the display is also an advent calendar!
Invinceable Shoe Repair
State Farm Insurance, who is next door to our previous contender, also has a beautiful window. I’m thrilled that Ambler business owners took their precious time to take part in this fun event and light up the town!
A Touch Of The Old Country. As this eatery is “old school” they don’t have a website, of course you can find contact info on google and yelp has a review. If you ask me, any place whose Christmas decor features a snowman sporting a hoagie and a santa offering prosciutto and cheese is a-okay in my book! They did an awesome job on their window, really pretty at night!
And in corner number two, No Bare Walls…
Ambler’s Holiday Window Display Contest is in full swing. In my travels last night I saw a few of the displays and have decided to feature them here, one by one. The brisk night really complemented the winter wonderland that has taken over the storefront of The Ambler Flower Shop. Great job Gene!